My wife loves breakfast food and could have it for every meal. I’m not as big of a fan and usually prefer to have breakfast foods during breakfast or brunch. And when I do go for it, pancakes have long held my top spot for batter-based breakfast foods. So it took something special like this buttermilk waffle recipe to get me to make something different.
And, let me tell you, this waffle recipe is something special.
These buttermilk waffles are the epitome of breakfast perfection – golden, crispy on the outside, and irresistibly fluffy on the inside. They’re the kind of waffles that will make your taste buds dance with delight and have you craving them morning, noon, and night. Even if you’re usually someone like me who thinks breakfast is for breakfast.
Whether you’re looking to impress your family with a memorable weekend breakfast or wanting to treat yourself to a decadent brunch, these buttermilk waffles will never disappoint. They’re the perfect canvas for your favorite toppings, whether you prefer a classic drizzle of maple syrup, a dollop of whipped cream, or a shower of fresh berries.
Get ready to elevate your waffle game and embark on a culinary journey that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving more. Without further ado, let’s dive into the recipe and discover how to make the best buttermilk waffles you’ll ever make.
Buttermilk Waffle Recipe Ingredients
To follow this incredible buttermilk waffle recipe, you’ll need just a handful of simple ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen. If you’re used to using premade mixes, you may not know what actually goes into making the batter. Here’s what you’ll need to gather:
- All-purpose flour, which will serve as the base of the waffle batter, providing structure and texture.
- Sugar adds a touch of sweetness and balances out the flavors.
- Baking powder provides some of the necessary leavening power, helping the waffles rise and become wonderfully fluffy.
- Baking soda will react with the acidity in buttermilk to add even more leavening power.
- Salt enhances the flavors of everything and will bring out the best in all the other ingredients.
- Buttermilk is the star ingredient that gives these waffles their distinctive tang and incredible tenderness.
- Milk to keep everything from drying out.
- Eggs, which will need to be separated because whipped egg whites are part of the big secret for perfect waffles.
- Vegetable oil keeps things moist and gives the perfect crisp to the exterior of the waffles.
- Vanilla extract to infuse the waffles with a subtle hint of flavor, warmth, and sweetness.
With these simple yet essential ingredients, you’ll be well on your way to creating the best buttermilk waffles you’ve ever tasted. So gather your supplies and let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making these delectable waffles!
Why Buttermilk Is the Secret Ingredient
You might be wondering whether it’s worth the effort to grab buttermilk for these waffles – likely one of the few ingredients you don’t already have on hand. Buttermilk is not only responsible for a slightly tangy flavor but also plays a crucial role in achieving the light and fluffy texture that makes these waffles truly exceptional.
Buttermilk is a fermented dairy product with an acidic taste. This acidity is what sets it apart from regular milk and makes it a game-changer in baking. When combined with the other ingredients in the waffle batter, the acidity of buttermilk reacts with the baking soda, creating a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide. The release of carbon dioxide gas forms bubbles throughout the batter, resulting in a light and airy texture when cooked.
Plus, the acidic nature of buttermilk also helps to tenderize the gluten proteins in the flour, preventing them from developing too much and resulting in a tender, melt-in-your-mouth waffle. This ensures that your buttermilk waffles have a delightful, moist interior.
The tangy flavor of buttermilk adds a pleasant and subtle tang that perfectly complements the sweetness of the waffle. It adds a depth of flavor that takes these waffles to the next level, making them far more memorable than your average breakfast treat.
Get ready to indulge in a breakfast experience like no other, as you savor each bite of these tender, fluffy, and tangy delights.
Mixing Up the Batter
Now that you have gathered your ingredients and understood the importance of buttermilk, it’s time to mix up the batter for your delectable buttermilk waffles. Follow these simple steps to achieve a smooth and luscious batter:
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients: the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients together until they are well combined and evenly distributed.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the majority of the wet ingredients: buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. Make sure to whisk until the wet ingredients are thoroughly blended and the mixture is smooth.
Now, gently crack open the eggs and separate the yolks from the egg whites. Add the yolks in with the wet ingredients and mix them together. Put the egg whites into a separate bowl. Use a hand mixer or whisk to whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks (it is much easier with the hand mixer…).
Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients – keeping the whipped egg whites separate for now. Gently whisk the ingredients together. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in dense waffles. Some lumps in the batter are ok, so just mix until everything is generally combined and there are no longer pockets of dry ingredients.
Now add the whipped egg whites into the same bowl. Gently use a spatula or wooden spoon to fold the egg whites into the batter. We do this gently to help keep the air in the egg whites that’ll make sure our batter is light and fluffy when baked.
Once the batter is well mixed, let it rest for about 5 minutes. This resting period allows the flour to fully hydrate and ensures a better texture and structure in your waffles.
Now that your batter is prepared, it’s time to move on to the exciting part – cooking the buttermilk waffles!
Preparing the Waffle Iron
The key tool for making waffles is the humble waffle iron.
And before diving into cooking your buttermilk waffles, it’s essential to properly prepare your waffle iron to ensure optimal results. Use the following steps to get your waffle iron ready for action.
Preheat the Waffle Iron. Turn on your waffle iron and allow it to preheat according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This step is crucial as it ensures that the waffle iron reaches the right temperature for even cooking and a crispy exterior.
Wiping with Vegetable Oil. Once the waffle iron is heated, it’s time to give it a light coating of vegetable oil to prevent the waffles from sticking. Grab a pastry brush or a folded piece of paper towel. Dip it into a small amount of vegetable oil. Gently brush or rub the oil onto the cooking surfaces of the waffle iron, and try your best to cover all the nooks and crannies. I repeated this step once in the middle of cooking to make sure nothing would stick.
Follow the Manufacturer’s Instructions. Every waffle iron is different, so it’s crucial to refer to the specific instructions provided by the manufacturer. They may have additional guidelines or recommendations for preparing the waffle iron that are specific to your model.
By preheating your waffle iron and applying a light coating of vegetable oil, you’re setting the stage for waffle success. Now, it’s time to pour that delectable buttermilk waffle batter onto the hot iron and transform it into golden, crispy waffles.
Step-by-step Instructions for Making Buttermilk Waffles
With the batter ready and the waffle iron hot, it’s time to make our perfect, golden waffles. Here’s how you can achieve waffle perfection:
Pouring the Batter: Take a measuring cup or ladle and pour the batter onto the center of the preheated waffle iron. The amount of batter needed will depend on the size of your waffle iron, so refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations. For mine, it ended up being a little over half a cup. But the size and depth of your iron can change that dramatically. Be careful not to overfill the iron, as the batter will spread and rise during cooking. It is better to have a smaller waffle than a full waffle with tons of wasted batter running out the sides.
Cooking the Waffles: Close the waffle iron and let the magic happen. Note that some waffle irons (including mine) need to be turned over after closing them. This helps spread the batter around and typically activates the timers that are built in. Allow the waffles to cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The cooking time typically ranges from 4 to 6 minutes. Make sure the waffles are beautifully golden brown and crisp on the outside.
Removing the Waffles: Once the waffles have reached your desired level of doneness, carefully open the waffle iron. Use a fork or tongs to gently remove the waffles, ensuring that you don’t damage their shape or texture. Serve the waffles immediately or keep them in a warmed oven until all are ready.
Remember to exercise caution while handling the waffle iron, as it will be hot.
Now that your perfectly cooked buttermilk waffles are ready, it’s time to savor the moment. Serve them warm and enjoy the heavenly combination of crispy exteriors and fluffy interiors.
Toppings and Accompaniments for This Buttermilk Waffle Recipe
When it comes to enhancing the flavor and enjoyment of this homemade buttermilk waffle recipe, the options for toppings and accompaniments are endless. Here are some delicious categories to explore:
- Syrup – warm maple syrup, my Triple Berry Syrup, or any other you prefer
- Fresh Fruits (sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or bananas)
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar (a light dusting to look real fancy)
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
- Peanut Butter
- Cookie Butter
- Chopped Nuts (walnuts, pecans, or almonds)
- Crispy Bacon
- Fried Eggs
- Fried Chicken -to make chicken and waffles
Feel free to mix and match from different categories, experiment with flavors, and create your own unique combinations. Get creative by trying combinations like fresh fruits with whipped cream, caramel sauce with chopped nuts, or bacon with a fried egg. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
So, explore and create to your culinary heart’s content with waffles as your canvas. Have a lot of toppings available and let everyone choose to top as they please.
Tips for Making the Perfect Buttermilk Waffle Recipe
To ensure your buttermilk waffles turn out absolutely perfect every time, here are some valuable tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t Overmix the Batter. When combining the batter and the whipped egg whites, gently fold them together until just combined. Overmixing can lead to tough and dense waffles. It’s okay if there are a few lumps in the batter; they will disappear during cooking.
- Preheat the Waffle Maker and Lightly Oil with Vegetable Oil. Before pouring the batter, make sure your waffle maker is preheated to the desired temperature according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Lightly oil the waffle maker with vegetable oil to prevent sticking and ensure easy release. This also helps in crisping the outside of the waffles.
- Serve the Waffles Immediately or Keep Them Warm in the Oven. For the best eating experience, serve the waffles immediately after cooking. Their crisp exterior and fluffy interior are at their prime right off the waffle iron. If you must wait, place them on a wire rack set in a 225°F (110°C) oven. This will help maintain their crispness while you finish baking.
- Experiment with Cooking Times. Waffle irons vary, so it’s essential to experiment with cooking times to achieve your desired level of crispness. Start with the recommended cooking time, but adjust it if you prefer a lighter or darker waffle.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to making the perfect batch of buttermilk waffles. Enjoy the process, embrace the art of waffle-making, and delight in the delectable results. These tips will ensure your buttermilk waffle recipe is a delicious success.
Variations and Add-ins to Try with Buttermilk Waffles
While classic buttermilk waffles are a delightful treat on their own, why not explore different variations and add-ins to elevate your waffle game? Here are some delicious ideas to inspire your creativity:
Pancakes with chocolate chips are common. So why not try mixing in chocolate chips or cocoa powder into waffle batter? The melted chocolate will create pockets of gooey goodness, making your waffles irresistible.
Add a burst of freshness and natural sweetness to your waffles by incorporating fruits directly into the batter. Consider adding blueberries, strawberries, diced apples, or sliced bananas.
For a delightful crunch and a boost of protein, try adding chopped nuts or toasted coconut to the waffle batter.
Infuse your waffles with the comforting flavors of warm spices. Add a dash of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or a pinch of cardamom to the batter. Or put maple syrup directly into the batter itself to create waffles with a cozy and aromatic twist.
And if you want a fun, savory twist, experiment with add-ins like grated cheese, cooked bacon bits, or finely chopped herbs such as chives or parsley. These savory variations will make them a perfect base for a savory brunch.
Remember, the possibilities are endless when it comes to customizing your buttermilk waffles. Don’t be afraid to get creative, experiment with different flavors, and make your breakfast or brunch a memorable experience. Whether you prefer sweet or savory, enjoy the journey of creating your perfect buttermilk waffles.
How did yours turn out?
I’d love to hear when you try out this buttermilk waffle recipe! Take a pic of your food and share your success with me by adding it to your Instagram stories or feed, and tagging me @doyouroux, or by using #doyouroux.
Plus, leave a rating to let me know how you liked the recipe. It helps me out a lot to know how things worked out… or didn’t.
The Best Buttermilk Waffle RecipeCourse: Breakfast, BrunchDifficulty: Easy
It’s time for the ultimate buttermilk waffle recipe. Learn how to make the best buttermilk waffles ever. Fire up the waffle iron now!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, separated
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil
- Separate the egg yolks and whites, adding the yolks to the wet ingredients and whisking
- In another bowl, use a hand mixer or whisk to whip the egg whites into stiff peaks
- Mix the wet ingredients (except the whipped egg whites) into the dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix – some lumps are helpful
- Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the mixture, do not overmix but they should be incorporated together
- Preheat the oven to 225°F (110°C), plug in the waffle iron so it can warm up, and wipe the waffle iron with some of the reserved vegetable oil
- Fill the bottom of the waffle iron with batter – the amount will depend on your specific waffle iron but for me was a little over half a cup
- Close and cook until golden brown, based on your waffle iron instructions (about 5 minutes)
- Remove and serve or place in the preheated oven and continue until all of the batter is used
Get recipes like this straight to your inbox: